Friday, August 23, 2013

Nova Scotia– Part 2

 

Happy Friday everyone! So glad this week is over. But, when am I not? I thought I’d finish up our trip to Nova Scotia for you today.

Ryan and I arrived in Halifax pretty early and we were worried about where to park. We decided to drive up to the hotel to see if they would let us check in early. Thankfully, our room was ready so we got to park and settle in!

We decided to walk the harbour and take in some of the sights of Halifax before grabbing lunch! It was such a flurry of activity and it was so beautiful walking around the water.

I saw this familiar character!

IMG_0052

We also stopped and listened to this young man play his fiddle! He was so good!

IMG_0053

We were pretty hungry so we stopped for lunch at a little pub along the water! Of course we got a table outside on the patio! It was too beautiful to be stuck inside!

IMG_0054

After lunch, we headed a short walk down the harbour to the Alexander Keith’s Brewery for a tour! We had heard good things about this tour and wanted to check it out!

IMG_0055

The tour was awesome!! I had been on other brewery tours before but what made this one stand out from the rest was the historical re-enactment. Everyone was in historical clothes and everything was set in early Halifax when the brewery was opened.

I love history so I loved hearing all about that time era and my husband loves beer….so it was a win-win! ha ha!

IMG_0057

After a couple free samples, we were full from lunch and feeling good so we headed back to our room for a little afternoon nap – I love being on holidays, I love naps!

We woke up and got ready for supper. But, this wasn’t just any ordinary meal. We were going to be FINALLY surprising Mom. We had been keeping this trip a complete surprise from her for the longest time! It was a relief that I didn’t have to hide anything from her anymore!

Ryan and I arrived at the restaurant 15 minutes early. We had planned it with Dad that the reservations were for 7:30. We settled in with our backs to the door. I could see through a picture hanging on the wall when they arrived. I could see them walking closer and closer to our table. Right before they were seated, Ryan and I turned around.

Mom let out a HUGE scream. I think we scared her half to death (and everyone sitting in the restaurant as well). It was a great surprise and I was so glad not to be hiding anything from her anymore!

IMG_0062

Lobster for supper….yum!

IMG_0060

The next morning we met for breakfast and then hit the road to St.Margaret’s Bay where my mom’s family originates. There, they knew there was going to be a party/family reunion.

What she didn’t know, was there was another special guest who was going to be there! As a surprise, we had arranged to have Mom’s sister, Debbie fly down to meet up with everyone for the party! The two sister’s hadn’t been in the Nova Scotia, in the presence of all their family, since they were little girls. It was a great surprise and again my mother let our a HUGE scream when she saw Auntie Debbie standing in the kitchen! 

100_1115

After relaxing for a bit, everyone got changed so the party could get started! After my mom’s mother died, her father (and his new wife) packed up the kids and they moved around. She had lost contact with a lot of her Mother’s family and so they were never present when my parents got married. 35 years later, they were able to renew their vows in the presence of family who never got to witness it. It was even officiated by a first cousin, Bev. There wasn’t a dry eye in the place as they exchanged rings and said “I do”, again.

100_1117

100_1118

There was lots of family around and there was a HUGE feast! Most of this family I was meeting for the first time. But, I felt so at home. They were all so loving and welcoming. Ryan and I are already talking about wanting to go back for another visit. I miss having them around and sometimes I wonder what my childhood would have been like if they were closer. They are all such wonderful people who have a strong belief in family. I am so lucky to know them all now.

The band got started that night and the party was rocking! It was so much fun. It felt like a wedding reception!

100_1120

My cousin Heather and her fiancé Brian, had put SO much work into their property to get ready for this party! Not to mention Heather’s daughter gave up her room for Ryan and I. We can’t thank them enough for such hospitality. 

100_1130

My mom’s first cousins!

100_1125

The kids!

100_1136

It was nice to drive around Nova Scotia and show Ryan around. We got to see lots of different places. But, we both agreed WHEN we go back, we will be heading straight to St. Margaret’s Bay where we are welcomed with open arms from family! It’s where we felt so at home and where we look forward to future summer vacations! Meeting and seeing all the family was the icing on the cake of a perfect trip!

Happy Friday! 

xo

6 comments:

  1. First of all... did you just call that guy a "young man"? You are far too young to call people "young man". Haha.

    Second, LOVE the party! Looks like a blast. That's great that she was so surprised. I'm sure she loved having you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just hear your mom scream! haha! I know exactly how it would sound!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this trip looks like it can be summed up in one word: PERFECTION. what an amazing opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such an amazing trip! How fun that you surprised your mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, goodness, Lindsay, this post brought tears to my eyes. I love how your all treat each other, your parents are amazing, and your family and faith values are unsurpassed.....I am continually rejoicing at how strong the families in our church family are! I miss Halifax, so your pictures made me a bit homesick. Great trip, great post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say what a lovely idea it was to fly Debbie down too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete